EAST WINDOW APPEAL
The East Windows
The current St Alkmund’s is the fourth church building on this site since Whitchurch (or white church) was founded around 900AD. The current church has Grade 1 listed status, the first of Shropshire’s grand neo classical style churches and was built in 1712.
The taste for stained glass grew during the Victorian period and parishioners set about filling the church windows with colour. The notable Victorian stained glass maker, Warrington (1832-1875) designed the current windows which are in need of repair, namely the East and North apse windows.
Thanks to your help
The Warrington-designed windows which were in a very poor state of repair and in need emergency work, have been removed, restored and replaced and were dedicated by The Bishop of Shrewsbury, The Rt Revd Mark Rylands on Sunday 29th April 2018.
The East apse window
This Window, The Ascension Window', is now fully restored and is back in place.
The window to the left of the Ascension Window, 'The Peter Window' (LEFT), depicting the St Peter with the keys to Heaven, was in need of emergency treatment. The leadwork had deteriorated, saddlebars ill-fitting and some were even missing. The matrix was very weak and daylight was visible in places. This window is also fully restored and back in it's rightful place and was also dedicated on the 29th April 2018.
Below is a picture of the fully restored window that is situated to the Right of the Ascension Window, the Paul Window where Paul, known as the defender of the faith, is pictured with a sword. And on a bright spring morning, just like the one when this picture was taken, the skill of the men and women from Recclisia, the company who restored it is apparent and the sun light streaming through brings all the colours to life.
Below and to the left is the art work produced by children from Sir John Talbot's and Whitchurch Junior School, which replaced each window in turn as they were taken out to be restored.